Friday, February 27, 2015

The Pull List: Orphan Black #1 Review

Well, that was underwhelming, and I was really looking forward to the first issue of Orphan Black. IDW did such a good job with Galaxy Quest that I was expecting something absolutely delicious, considering the wealth of stories that could be garnered from the television series. See, this is what I get for being Leslie Knope-style optimistic.

Via IDW Publishing
First of all, while the art by Szymon Kudranski was fine, I guess - a half-step up from his work in Captain America: Fear Him - the layout was just boring. If the linework had been more dynamic or if there had been any sort of intuitive movement between the panels, the simple six square divisions would have been okay, but it just ends up confusing. I had no idea what was going on in some panels, and I've watched the show, so I know what's going on. Writer Jody Houser just tried to put too much into the first issue, trying to set up Sarah's backstory, as well as show us Beth's state of mind and introduce the clone storyline. One of the things the show did well was pace itself. In the comic, it's just balls to the wall, with very little explanation or detail.

Honestly, I think the biggest issue with I have with the comic adaptation is that it's trying too hard to be like the show. It hasn't added anything that I haven't seen in the two seasons so far, except a few snippets of what went on in Beth's head, and I'd rather watch the amazing Tatiana Maslany do her thing than read this. So here's an idea, IDW: how about you do a series based on Mrs. S? Or do a limited issue run on Katja? There were so many other ways this could have been approached to expand the universe of Orphan Black, but they took the easy way. I don't think I'll be returning for next month's issue, even if it does focus supposedly on Helena.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...