Monday, February 23, 2015

28 Day Bubblegum Crisis Challenge, Day 23: Something That Didn't Happen I Wish Did

Well, this is harder than I expected it to be. I've been staring at my screen for about ten minutes now, trying to figure out something in the plot that I wished would actually occur on screen, but I'm drawing a blank. Of course, I could just rehash what I wrote yesterday, but that would be cheating.

I guess what I would change would be one of two things: 1) to give Daley more screen time or 2) at least be consistent in the portrayal of Leon.

Daley Wong and Leon McNichols
Via Anime World Order
A big criticism of Daley was that, as a character, he wasn't really that developed - I respectfully disagree with that assessment. I didn't like that he played second fiddle to his superior officer, Leon, who seemed like he should have been the subordinate based on his fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants personality, but since Daley wouldn't be chasing Priss' ass like a sex-starved puppy, he was relegated to the role of support. Things might have been more interesting if Daley had been the one in contact with the Knight Sabers instead of Leon, although Daley wouldn't have just charged into a building only carrying a single gun, like his partner did in "Tinsel City," and none of the "witty" dialogue between Leon and Priss would have happened. /eyeroll

I think I might have mentioned this in one of the earlier challenge days, but Leon has two modes: competent cop and complete moron. In keeping with the 80s action flick trends of having a Mel Gibson and a Danny Glover - wherein Daley is the gay Danny Glover who unfortunately does not say "I'm too old for this shit" - Leon is hot-headed, sure, but it's not as if he has a death wish like Mel's character. The show tries to paint him as brave but he just comes across as incredibly stupid. If I were Chief Todo, I'd keep him on desk duty until he could show that he could make good decisions instead of placing his life in danger for literally no other reason than just because. He nearly gets killed so many times in such a short number of episodes that I'm sad to say that I can't even keep count, and it's all because of plot needs. Leon needs to find out that Priss is a member of the Knight Sabers, so let him go woefully ill-equipped to fight a overpowered battle mover in "Moonlight Rambler!" Why? Who cares?? REASONS!!!

So that's that! What I would have liked to have happened in Bubblegum Crisis. Now, I'm going to go to bed because I'm exhausted. I know that it's only 10A, but Three is on a night shift for the next couple of weeks and I've adjusted my schedule to match his. It's a little weird to sleep during the day, since I am a sun-loving person, but it's only for two weeks. Stay tuned for tomorrow's challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...