Monday, February 16, 2015

28 Day Bubblegum Crisis Challenge, Day 16: Favorite Reference to Blade Runner

I could make this easy on myself and say that Priss' band's name, the Replicants, is my favorite; sure, it's the first one that I recognized, but not really my favorite. To be honest, I watched Bubblegum Crisis before I had ever seen Blade Runner (which, I knooowwww), so I didn't catch the references until I finally rented the movie from Blockbuster when I was in high school, and it took repeat viewing before I caught most of them.

But my favorite? Yeah, has to be in "Scoop Chase."

It's actually a notorious scene in Blade Runner, where Deckard is zoom-enhancing an image that ultimately leads him to Zhora, the replicant that uses synthetic snake scales in her act. Even when I was watching that scene, I was like, "Nothing about this is even possible." You can't just move things in a picture to see what's behind it, even if you exist in the future.
I may have my Halloween costume for this year, though.
Via FanPop
Anyway, in "Scoop Chase," Lisa Vanette, the niece of Chief Todo, took some pictures of the Knight Sabers as they were combating a boomer on a rooftop, and she uses the same "zoom-enhance" technology that Deckard uses in Blade Runner, although it's a bit more believable in that she just enlarges a picture that turns out to be Nene's face in a hardsuit helmet. Now, it's still ludicrous because even I know that the clarity of the picture would be absolute shit, especially from that distance, but whatever. Plot!

Later on in Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040, this plot device is used again when a guy discovers that his wife is cheating on him, using zoom-enhance to find a blurry image of a man's bare behind from a glare on a watch. While I thought it was truer to Blade Runner, it was still pretty ridiculous, and that episode was reminiscent of "Revenge Road," which we've already established was the worst episode of the original series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...