Friday, February 27, 2015

28 Day Bubblegum Crisis Challenge, Day 27: What I Would Like to See Next

As you may know, I love Battlestar Galactica. I nearly cried when I found out Netflix was removing it from their catalog and immediately went out and bought the entire series on DVD. I didn't watch the original series until well after the reimagining went off air, and I walked away from that version of the show incredibly glad that it got remade into something that wasn't just a cheap Star Wars ripoff*.

Bubblegum Crisis is due for a kickass reimagining. It doesn't have to be a gritty reboot, I swear!

Via MiniTokyo
To be honest, it has a lot of similar themes to Battlestar Galactica: the definition of life and humanity, the fluidity of morality, robots gaining sentience, humanity fighting against said robots. Hell, they even share the word "boomer!" Sure, it's a character's name, but still.

I'd love to see Bubblegum Crisis reworked into something that matches its scope. Based on its complicated legal history, I don't see this happening, of course, but if SyFy really does want to leave behind its crappy reputation, BGC may be where they could start. It fits their demographic well, I think, and I'd tune in each week to see what the gang is up to. Just treat Daley well, guys. I'll kick your ass if you don't!

< Day 26: Bubblegum Crash?    Day 28: Relevance to Today? >


* I know I'll probably get some blowback from fans of the original Battlestar Galactica for saying that, but seriously. It was some of the cheesiest television I'd seen in a long time, and I had just previously watched the original Star Trek series a few weeks before venturing into BSG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...