Friday, February 6, 2015

28 Day Bubblegum Crisis Challenge, Day 6: Favorite Main Character

Via JASMS
I wanted to find a glamorous picture of Sylia because 1) bitch is fabulous, and 2) this is a really grainy image, but I couldn't pass this one up. I remember exactly which episode and where this cel is from, and the first time I saw it, I laughed hysterically while feeling exceptionally uncomfortable. Why? Because this is Sylia Stingray's "Mackie, you are my brother stop staring at my breasts" face. Now, I don't know if this is a Japanese cultural thing, but the idea that your sibling could sit around and ogle your chest* is incredibly disturbing.
 See? Told you she was fab. 
Via Anime Vice
Anyway, weird incestuous thing aside, Sylia Stingray is The Boss, completely in control of her life in a way that some of us dream about. She owns and manages an upscale lingerie shop and runs and acts in the vigilante group, the Knight Sabers. Most the time, she makes complicated deals, often under the table, completely by herself, like a brilliant strategic diplomat, and nearly everyone is surprised by this (because she's female). She is also wicked intelligent, often jumping to accurate conclusions with the most miniscule of data, and can kick ass on par with Priss, the Knight Sabers' heavy hitter. She can seem aloof and uncaring, almost aristocratic, but she believes passionately in what she's doing and feels deeply responsible for the women on her team.

While Sylia has always been my favorite character, it's only recently that she inspired a character of mine. She's kind of a difficult character type to do well - serene, determined, and subdued (other than her amazing wardrobe choices) - so I was hesitant to even try. Too often those characters are incredibly boring or are just backdrops for the more colorful characters, but with Sylia, she can steal a scene from fan-favorite Priss with little to no effort or take a more supportive role when it's necessary, like whenever she's dealing with Nene one-on-one. It's also refreshing to see a more mature woman, who is confident in her sexuality, in comparison to the younger, more brash women that make up the Knight Sabers.

Alrighty, so that's that! Tomorrow's may actually run a little bit longer than today's because I have SO MUCH to say about my least favorite main character. I'm actually rolling my eyes a little bit.


* Granted, she is wearing a slinky, sheer robe over some very revealing lingerie, but IT IS HER GODDAMN BROTHER. I'm glad she threw the newspaper at his face. This scenario never repeats itself, thankfully, but it makes me wonder why it was there in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...