Tuesday, February 24, 2015

28 Day Bubblegum Crisis Challenge, Day 24: Dubbed or Subbed?

The DVDs that I have of BGC are some of the older ones, and from what I've discovered, the series was remastered and released by ANIMEIGO back in 2004. Whether this means that they also rerecorded the dub or not is something I'll have to find out at a later date, if I feel like spending $40 on shit I already have.

That being said, this question is not difficult to answer ...


Via Ebay
... because the dubbed version is absolutely awful. I feel really bad any time I suggest someone go watch it on Hulu, as they only have the dubbed version, and similarly to the original dub of Akira, it turns so many people off of the series. The delivery is either flat or overly earnest, and the English-speaking cast mispronounces basic things, like Genom. In the Japanese version, it's "geh-num," with no particular inflection upon either syllable, but in the dub? Ugh, they say it, "geh-NOM," and even just thinking about it makes me cringe.

I have been spoiled by excellent dubs, however, like Cowboy Bebop* (I think next February is going to be the month I celebrate this series), so maybe I'm being too harsh. Plus, this was the 80s and early 90s, when anime wasn't as popular as it is today. You know what? No. It doesn't get an excuse for being wretched. If you get a chance, you should watch the subtitled version of Bubblegum Crisis. It is infinitely better that way, even if Nene does actually say "radical" unironically in both. 


BACK TO CHALLENGE

* The production team of this series actually said that they prefer the English dub over the original Japanese cast, and that is saying a lot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...