Tuesday, February 3, 2015

28-Day Bubblegum Crisis Challenge, Day 3: Worst Episode

Unlike Day 2, today's challenge really wasn't that difficult. From the minute that I finished watching "Revenge Road," I just knew that it was the weakest of the series. Basically, guy's girlfriend gets hurt and guy decides to transform his car into a boomer so he can avenge her. Blah.

The concept is incredibly trope-y, which wouldn't really bother me normally, since I do feel that tropes can be used effectively, but "Revenge Road" just has that machismo bullshit that reminds me of Women in Refrigerators, where the only way a male character can be spurred into action is the harm the person he's in love with. It's offensive to men and detrimental to women, and every time I see it, I just want to crawl into a hole and eat dairy-free ice cream. Revenge is dealt with so much better in "Red Eyes," the episode directly following the events of yesterday's "Midnight Rambler."Anri, the other sexaroid boomer that escaped the space station with Sylvie, decides to bring the pain to the Knight Sabers, who she believes is responsible for Sylvie's death (she's not entirely wrong, obviously, but she doesn't have the whole picture,thanks to that fucker, Largo). It's actually an exceptional episode*, which only makes the failure of "Revenge Road" that much more apparent. Every time I come to it when I'm binge-watching the whole series, I roll my eyes and then go do literally anything else I can think of.

And that's where I'm going to end this. Tomorrow is going to be way more fun, because it's my Favorite Episode!


* It was actually thisclose to being the best episode, but "Midnight Rambler" beat it by a hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...