Monday, February 9, 2015

The Pull List for February 11, 2015

Well, folks, it's getting closer to Valentine's Day, which means absolutely nothing because the husband and I don't celebrate it. I mean, no judgments if you do, but I'm kind of sick of seeing all this red and pink shit around.

Definitely To-Buy
Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift #2 (of 6)
Leyh Variant
Via Go Collect
Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift #2 (of 6) (Boom! Studios) - Speaking of pink shit, that variant cover is pretty kickass. Anyway ... I have to admit that I got onto the Adventure Time bandwagon pretty late in the game, and as of a few months ago, I am completely caught up on the animated series. Not so much with the comics (although I did buy the Fionna and Cake trade two months ago), but I feel like the comics are actually better than the show. And Marceline Gone Adrift just cements that statement as true for me. I love how nothing is explained, and you're just expected to follow through to the conclusion. Marceline is also my favorite character, on the show and in the comics, so having her so heavily featured is a real treat. I like that they really are framing the relationship between Marcie and the Princess as a romantic one without just coming out and saying, "Yep, they have feelings for each other." Seriously, I need to get the second issue soon.
Captain Marvel #12
Via Go Collect
Captain Marvel #12 (Marvel) - Due to a slight mix-up, I wasn't able to get #11 last month (oh, but I will), so I have no idea what I'm getting into with this issue. I could read a preview of it, but where is the fun in that, I ask?
Galaxy Quest: The Journey Continues #2
Via Graphic Policy
Galaxy Quest: The Journey Continues #2 (of 4) (IDW) - And IDW continues their uncanny ability to take an existing property and, while respecting the source material and ensuring that the new story will fit within the pre-established universe, create something that is brilliant and fun and makes fangirls like me cheer. I love that there's a connection to the movie (one of my favorite movies of all time, btw), and God, they captured the vocal stylings of the aliens so damn well. This makes me even more excited for the Orphan Black comic that will be coming out next month.
Men of Wrath #5
Via Marvel Comics
Men of Wrath #5 (Icon) - I almost didn't get issue #4 last month and was thisclose to crying. But then, when I came to pick up my books a few weeks ago, there it was, in its bloody glory. Like I said in my review last year, I have such a connection, as iffy as it is, to the culture described in Men of Wrath (and it's cousin, Southern Bastards) and simply cannot wait to see if it will be an ending that my husband will relish, one that I will cheer, or somewhere in between.
Thor #5
Phil Noto Variant
Via Marvel
Thor #5 (Marvel) - Okay, so I'm really thankful that Aaron eliminated Freyja as the new Thor, but that still leaves me wondering who in the hell she actually is. I'm partial to Lady Sif or Roz Solomon, but I rarely get what I want when it comes to comics (seriously, DC, kick the Finches off of Wonder Woman and I may buy it again). Also, I'm pretty sure that Odin is quickly becoming one of my least favorite characters in this series: he's misogynistic and kind of dumb; here's hoping that the All-Mother kicks him out of Asgard until he can figure out how to be an adult.

Trade Only
  • Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #5 (Marvel)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy #24 (Marvel)
I'll Read It

Bang!Tango
Via TFAW
Bang!Tango TPB (Image) -Vertigo is always kind of hit-or-miss for me (ahem, THE NAMES, I AM LOOKING AT YOU), but this looks fairly solid. It has kind of a Dog Day Afternoon feel to it, if the description is anything. I may not actually buy it, but I'll give it a looksie.

All-New Captain America: Fear Him #2 (Marvel) - Okay, I was surprised that I liked this one. The first issue was eerie and well-paced and, oddly enough, I found Steve Rogers incredibly likeable, which has not been the case for the past year. So yeah, I may actually ending up buying this one?
Darth Vader #1
Alex Ross Variant
Via Go Collect
Darth Vader #1 (Marvel) - This is on my pull list because I am a huge fan of Star Wars more than anything else. I am actually more excited about the Princess Leia limited series that's coming out next month, but hey, I take what I can get here.

Divinity #1 (0f 4) (Valiant Entertainment) - Valiant has been hawking this limited series pretty heavily in their comics and in previews, and if The Valiant is any indication, this will be awesome. The comic shop I go to may not be getting it in (and it was too late for me to order it, sigh), so I may have to go digital on this one.

Slightly Interesting
  • The Empty #1 (Image) - I really like sci-fi anything, and this series has kind of a Dune aura to it. However, I know so little about it that I'm reserving my enthusiasm for it for the time being.
  • Secret Six #2 (DC) - I'm not sure why the second issue of this series has been delayed this long, but I wasn't blown away with the first one, so ... This may be one that I go the trade route.

Gone
None for this week! Which is either a good thing or a bad thing. I'm not sure where I fall on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...