Monday, November 9, 2015

30 Day Reboot Challenge, Day 7: Least Favorite Secondary Character

Yes, I know. I'm behind. This is what I get for trying to do a challenge and participate in NaNo in the same month. I'll catch up - I promise - but for now, you get Day 7 on ... what's today? The ninth?

So anyway, my least favorite secondary character would have to be Mike the TV.  He has his amusing moments, sure, but on the whole, he kind of serves as Reboot's version of Jar Jar Binks.

Mike the TV and Scuzzy*
Via Reboot Wiki
For example, through his actions, Mike brought about the Web Wars. He was playing an opera for Hex (Bob convinced him to stay with her and Scuzzy because he amused her so), and the sound broke her mirror, which in turn allowed the web creature to enter Mainframe and infect Hex. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad - he didn't mean to do it, like Jar Jar didn't mean to allow Palpatine to get emergency powers and then proceed to destroy the Republic - if he actually tried to help, but instead, he pretty much does nothing, except stand around and irritate everyone.

Which brings me to point two in the Mike Is Jar Jar game we have going on here: his vocal mannerisms - salesman-esque and loud - and completely lack of understanding about anything. He does get more bearable as the series progresses, but I think that's in part to the fact that he's not in it as much.

To be honest, I don't really hate Mike the TV. He brought me some enjoyment, and the episode where he's kind of the main character, "Wizards, Warriors, and a Word from Our Sponsor," is probably one of my favorites. And at least he's not a racist caricature, so he's got that going for him.


BACK TO CHALLENGE

* Poor Scuzzy is Hexadecimal's pet and suffers more than most of the main characters in the show, ultimately dealing with the aftermath of Hex's mood once one of her plans goes awry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...