Monday, November 10, 2014

The Pull List: The Humans #1


It is not very often that I don't at least finish a comic. As a matter of fact, I don't think that there has been a single time - that I can recall, which is, of course, a huge "if" statement - where I have read up to a certain point and thought, "You know what? My life would be better if I just stopped reading this." And then I picked up The Humans.


Via Image Comics
I'll start with the good, which pretty much comes down to the skills of artist Tom Neely. His attention to detail is incredible, and I adore the earthy colors that are employed throughout the issue.

And that's it, you guys. That is it. I mean, it could be that I just don't like the 70s exploitation-style, or because anthropomorphism* creeps me the fuck out (it just reminds me of furries, which ... shudder), or maybe ape-on-ape fellatio doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's not like sexual images offend me or anything; I read Saga and Sex Criminals on the regular, for fuck's sake, but that last bit is what caused me to close the book and never look back. I wasn't enjoying it much prior to that image, either. It just seemed to be trying to up the vulgarity with every page, but that just makes me roll my eyes and then not buy the comic. If that was the intent here, good job there, guys. If not? Well, try again. Or don't. Please just don't. Let this one go away. I'm begging you.

To be honest, this past week was kind of a disappointment to me. God Hates Astronauts is definitely off of my pull list now, and The Names has lost what initially got me interested: a kickass lady who uses her wits to best people trying to kill her. Earth 2 and Earth 2: World's End weren't on top of their games, either, with lags in the action but not much to make up for it. Then there was Penny Dora and the Wishing Box, which had so much narration in it that I wanted to scream.

I'm really hoping that next week picks up with the awesome. Surely Captain Marvel and Thor will improve my comics-related spirits, right?

* While I love Kurt Busiek's other work, I just could not get into Tooth and Claw because of the anthropomorphic characters. It's probably my loss, since he's an incredible creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...