Sunday, January 28, 2018

31 Day Challenge: The Legion, Day 17: Tremany


Alright, I officially have pneumonia and that's super fun. When I'm not feeling like absolute shit, I'm exhausted from feeling like absolute shit, so I haven't been able to do much except sleep. And cough. And then sleep some more. But, I am so behind on this challenge, and it's my stuff, so it's especially embarrassing that I'm only on day 17. I'm going to try and get caught up, but don't be surprised if I'm not able to.

Anyway, I feel even less prepared to introduce you to Tremany than I do every single other character, and I've been working on him for the exact same amount of time. It also doesn't help that I have almost no visuals to give you guys when I start to describe him because he's Kuwahine (KOO-wah-heen), and they're not exactly human. The closest thing that can give you an idea of what he looks like is this: take DC's J'onn J'onzz and mix him up with Mass Effect's Garrus Vakarian and then add intricate spiral markings (basically, they are Kuwahine fingerprints) all over his body. His skin is rather scaly and is light gray in color, offset by his vivid indigo markings, and his eyes are a very light gray, almost translucent, with a hint of pink.

He's been with Koca as her first mate on the Barbary for almost as long as she's had the ship. They met in Sarkor, a city-state in the far Southeast, and she was more familiar with his culture and people, since she's from Claudi, an island just north of the Kuwahine cluster of islands, so they bonded over their cultural relationship. While the Kuwahine and Claudite peoples aren't currently antagonistic, their history is definitely tumultuous, and both parties tend to distrust each other. Because of their distance from their homes, both felt comfortable in each other's presence and even relished the familiarity. Their romance didn't start immediately, and Koca was reluctant to give in because she had hired him for a job and didn't want to mix the two. Eventually, however, they became lovers and each other's support system, which has continued to this day.

Tremany isn't so much secretive as he is non-communicative about his history. He has no plans to return to his native islands and finds his past rather unimportant, but he will talk about it briefly and with no frills:
I left Kuwahi because I wanted to. I stowed away on a Claudite ship on its way to the Spiral and spent the next seven years hopping from ship to ship until I met Koca. Then I stayed. 
Kuwahine are known for their reserved natures, and his "candor" about his past is not particularly characteristic of his people. Most of them would just walk away or downright refuse to answer any questions about themselves, and he attributes this to being out in the world for as long as he has. Tremany's easy-going manner is infectious, and he can bring a situation from a ten to a zero by just saying a few words.

I think that's all I have in me today. I'm going to take a nap and then attempt to do some more of these. It's not that I don't wanna do them; I'm just so freaking sick. Ugghhhhhhhh.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...