Tuesday, September 1, 2015

So last month ...

How can it already be September? The last eight months have been a sort of bizarre blur of happiness, insanity, sadness, frustration, inspiration, and a whole bunch of other emotions that I can't even remember.

First and foremost, I got my rejection letter from Oni Press, which I was expecting actually, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Still, I went through a pretty dark place once it settled in, but once I got through that, I was more enthused than I have ever been. In a strange way, the rejection was exactly what I needed. Right now, I'm rewriting The Legion novellas - I'm about a quarter of the way through the first one - because, as I was writing the pitch to Oni, I realized a lot of things needed to change to make the story the best it could be. Not a lot has changed, but the first novella is going to be significantly different from the original. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the first book available - you know, change the title to something like "First Draft" - or just remove it from Amazon. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Secondly, the kittens have gotten so big. They're all about two pounds now and are full of destructive energy. We've had to baby-proof our house because they get into literally everything. For example, Princess Peach found a plastic knife somewhere yesterday and was carrying it around proudly for her brothers and sisters to see. I'll be writing another Life with Pets here soon - probably several entries, actually, because the kittens are hilarious - so keep an eye out for that. Oh! And if you want to check out my Youtube videos of them, just click on over and enjoy! It's a lot easier to record them on video doing their antics than it is to take pictures; the only time they are ever still is when they are passed out.

Third, I start a new job soon! There was a tentative start date of 8/31/2015, but obviously that didn't happen because, well, I didn't start then. I drove up there just in case - and made a good impression with my ambition - but was told I needed to wait for that final email. I'm assuming my drug test wasn't processed in time, since I went on Friday in the latter half of the day, and don't worry - I'm 100% positive it will come back negative. Until then, I'm going to fret over everything and work myself into an artistic frenzy.

And speaking of artistic frenzies, I'm still painting my new Elemental series*, and despite my general lack of skill doing sequential art, I'm going to complete an experimental, dialogue-free comic inspired by a couple of my crazy dreams.

And finally, I am working on that elusive project I started a few months ago, Paradiso, and I'll be posting updates on that, as well. Like I said back in June, I had the whole concept of Paradiso ready to go, and then ... well, the characters were all, "NOOOOOPE." So I went back to the drawing board, and yep, this is going to be my first actual full-length novel. It's a big undertaking, but I'm super excited about it. I'll be posting little excerpts every now and then, so keep an eye out!

So basically, everything is crazy, and it probably isn't going to get any less insane over the next several months, especially now that we'll be heading into the holiday season.

Dear God, Christmas is going to be here any moment, isn't it? I may have just had a minor panic attack.

* I finished "I Am Earth" recently and am thisclose to finishing "I Am Air." This pic isn't of the finished product, but it's a pretty good representation.
Via My Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...