Wednesday, January 10, 2018

31 Day The Legion Challenge, Day 10: Cover Ideas


The covers of my novellas are both the most exciting and the most daunting of tasks. Of course, I could hire someone, I suppose, but ... well, I'm poor. So a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

For the first novellas, I actually did my own covers, and I'm mostly happy with how they turned out, considering I had very limited resources at the time (think: crappy art supplies and what is essentially Instagram filters).


I actually like the print version a bit better, but it still looks super amateur. And I can't even find the image I used for Danger Everywhere, but suffice to say, it was not my best work.

My artistic endeavors have improved in the years since I did the first two covers, and I think I'm ready to tackle them again. But here's the thing: I have to come up with something consistent, and I have no idea the look I want. Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series has a standard format in terms of cover, and while I'm not always a huge fan of artistic choices (I'm looking at you, Lord of Chaos - what is even with that weird billowy shirt and bizarre facial structure), you can always tell you're looking at a The Wheel of Time book. Or even the bane of my existence, the Twilight novels: despite what's inside, the covers are very well designed and, again, consistent. I first liked the idea of having a comic book like revolving door of styles, but now it just seems like a) more work and b) confusing for someone who might be looking for my books.

Gah, it's like I've matured or something.

I'm still working on some basic ideas, but take a look below for some of my inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...